Saturday, February 28, 2009

frozen custard on the mind

ah. ah. ah. junior L word announced. and all my brain can think of is "i wonder how long its going to be until they open that little frozen custard stand down the road."

good lord i am a fat kid.

okay, back up. before i get into all THAT, i have to discuss some facts:

1. i am from the midwest. eighteen years of my life. we're talking working class town, cheap beers, watching football on a small TV with a continually snowy reception (no pun intended), getting excited for spring ('winters not over 'til may 15!' was a saying of my parents, apparently referring to the blizzard of '92 or something), the smell of bacon in the afternoon, meat-packing plants, having your cousins live next door, eating lutefisk and sauerkraut and bratwurst and best of all: FROZEN CUSTARD*.
2. there is a frozen custard stand opening up on 13/14th & pike. soon. (!!!!!!)
3. you can't imagine how excited i am.

anyways. i spent the last two days telling everyone i could about the frozen custard stand. best news of my week. in fact, my life isn't that exciting as of late. i mean, besides working a McCatering event on wednesday, a visit to el doctor on thursday (where i kept on my coat, boots and clutched my purse in hopes that i could convince myself that the number on the scale was mostly my baggage and not my newly acquired chub), working behind the bar at A.R.J. on friday and a wee bit o' excess drinking to start off the weekend last night. not much. so i think it is safe to say that frozen custard is the best news of my life right now.

so, last night, in a moment of (ew i was about to write passion but that sounds sorta creepy/romantic) drunken bedroom revelry (all i could think of), when barista boy grabs my face and holds my hand and mumbles a bunch of things to me (all the while i am attempting to make him stop talking by kissing him) and i just keep saying "what? what are you saying? what's that?" like some sort of 80-year-old grandma, he suddenly blurts out,

(oh gawd)

"i really, really like you."

and then there's that moment of silence where i am supposed to blush, hug his neck, giggle and repeat it back to him, but i just stare up at him drunkenly with my mouth half open.

he strokes my hair and whispers "what are you thinking? what is on your mind at this very second?"

and that's it. i am still thinking about frozen custard. no joke. i was wondering if the new stand would have a flavor of the day, and if i could acquire a calender of flavors-of-the-day, to know what days it would be worth it to haul my fat ass three blocks down the road.

and that's when i blurt out,

(why)

"frozen custard!"


appendix!

*frozen custard is delicious. it is sort of like ice cream, but with eggs added to the cream and sugar part of the ice cream. and the machine that makes it produces less air bubbles or ice crystals or something, so its dense and rich and creamy. it is a wisconsin specialty. also, it is life-changing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_custard

No comments: